Re: [OM] Chili

Subject: Re: [OM] Chili
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:37:21 -0600
On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 09:05:57AM -0700, James N. McBride wrote:
> I think the hottest sauce sold in the United States is called Dave's
> Insanity.

Dave's Insanity isn't bad, but there are several hotter.

Pepper hotness is measured in Scoville units. A pepper rated at 1000
Scoville units (jalapenos are in this range) must be diluted 1000 to one
with sugar water to remove the perceived burn on the tongue. Dave's Insanity
is rated, according to my fuzzy memory, at around 150,000 Scoville units. My
personal favorite is Da'Bomb Ground Zero, rated about 240,000 Scoville
units, which lends a lot of heat and has a reasonably nice flavor. Even that
is wimpy, however. The Original Juan, makers of Da'Bomb, recently introduced
a much hotter sauce: Da'Bomb Final Answer, rated - by an independent lab
with a gas chromatograph! - at 1.5 million Scoville units. That's extremely
hot. The bottle cap has a glass rod attached, and it's STRONGLY recommended
that it be used one drop at a time. I understand that there are 3 and 4
million Scoville unit sauces out there, but I've never tried 'em.

I grew up on hot food, and consider food without noticeable spice (well, for
things that should be spicy; I don't add pepper to cheesecake) to be bland
and boring. Folks form elsewhere obviously grew up on different stuff, and
their taste buds differ. I should also add that not all Mexican food is
intended to be hot, but that which is should be truly incendiary.