Re: [OM] Re: OM 35 SP or XA

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM 35 SP or XA
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:52:22 +0100
: All this talk of 35 SP and XAs seems a tad ironic since for only $90.00
: street price brand new one can have a new Stylus Epic.

Yes, but that would be a completely new thread: "XA or Stylus Epic/Mju II"
;)

The name of this thread was wrong anyway - in the first place, the 35SP is
not an OM, in the second place, I have some serious problems with the use of
the word 'OR'. Why not 'AND'? 35SP AND XA AND Mju II! That's what I did!
Well I don't have the 35SP, got the Canonet QL17 instead, but it's the same
principle.

Each of these cameras have their own virtues and possibilities:

The Mju II offers a fast 35mm/F2.8 lens with AF, program exposure,
spotmetering, ultimate compactness and is very light. But other than this
spot metering / AE+AF lock there is no control of exposure, flash ratio and
no info on selected shutter speed or aperture. It is reasonable silent but
not as quiet as the other two.

The XA also offers a fast 35mm/F2.8 lens, aperture preferred AE (but w/o
lock) with full control of aperture, info about the selected shutter speed,
full control of focus (although not very comfortable to use in low light),
has back light compensation, allows influencing available light with ASA
dial, allows fill flash control at any shutter speed but with a limited
selection of flashes (A11/A16), is larger and heavier than the Mju but still
very pocketable (certainly w/o the flash). No spot metering.

The SP/RD/Canonet and similar cameras offer an even faster 40mm/F1.7 lens,
shutter speed preferred AE with lock, full manual exposure control of both
aperture and shutter speed, full control of focusing, connect to any flash
you want, with flash control at any shutter speed, support flashmatic flash
(which in some cases can be superior to OTF), spot metering (only on the SP)
but are much larger and heavier than the first two and not really
pocketable.

Of course, how heavy a pocketable camera can be may depend on your needs.
For instance, when I took those Rolling Stones pictures, I found that the
OM-4 was only _just_ bearable... ;)

Decisions, decisions, ... do what I did, get them all.

hnz