Re: [OM] Re: OM 35 SP or XA

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM 35 SP or XA
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 08:26:12 -0500
>Thanks very much for your very concise brief summary of what would really
>take much time and experimentation to learn otherwise.

One trick that Lex did not mention was directly controlling the flash output
to adjust the flash/ambient ratio. With most "normal auto" aftermarket shoe
mount flashes, you set the ISO film speed on the back with a slide switch.
You can fool the flash by changing the film speed setting on the flash to
adjust the amount of light the flash emits. For example, if you have 100
speed film in the camera, set the flash film speed to 400 to cut the output
by half. Adjust the ambient exposure in the camera based on the 100 speed
film speed. The flash will output a nice "kicker" light to remove eyesocket
shadows, etc. Also, almost all of these types of flashes have a switch on the
front that controls the amount of light that reaches the sensor, usually
labeled with blue, red, and I think white dots for the various positions. I
think the red position usually allows more light to reach the sensor, the
blue less and the white none. This also varies the amount of light that the
flash outputs during exposure. The more light that reaches the sensor, the
less output the flash has. The position that completely blocks the sensor
makes the flash output its full power. Hope this helps.
--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright