Re: [OM] I must be very annoying already...but...4 vs. 4T?

Subject: Re: [OM] I must be very annoying already...but...4 vs. 4T?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 22:24:31 +0000
At 04:02 1/2/01, Mickey Trageser wrote:
Chris,
I have an OM-4. I absolutely love it. It does not do the hi speed flash

[snip]

Mickey

I have an OM-4 also and the battery drain issue has never been a problem. I think it only affects a handful of them.

One thing not mentioned recently is ensuring it is not stored in a camera bag with something depressing the viewfinder illuminator button (see tip #2 below to protect against this). This will drain 2S, 4 or 4T batteries very quickly. (I wonder how many 2S's and 4's have been labeled "battery eaters" when this was the real culprit.)

A 2S or 4 will consume cells faster than a 2[n], which can be completely turned off, and somewhat faster than a 4T. Even under heavy use my 4 gets about 5-6 months out of a good set of 357 watch cells (aka SR44W). Under light use, it's gotten 9 months or more. Over the past several years I've encountered two bad sets of cells (from places other than where I normally get them). If a set goes quickly, it's not necessarily the camera body. It could be ancient cells beyond shelf life.

A few more tips about the 2S, 4 and 4T:

(1) Turn _off_ the beeper by rotating the self-timer in the opposite direction from the self-timer position. These bodies will beep every time you press a button or flip a switch. Some may find the audible feedback useful; it only reminds me of unnecessary battery consumption.

(2) Always store one with the shutter speed ring in the mechanical (red) 1/60th or B position and the mode switch in the Manual position. The viewfinder illuminator on my OM-4 will not light up with the shutter speed ring in one of the two mechanical (red) positions, even if the button for it is depressed. This keeps it from accidentally draining the cells. (I don't know if this behavior is the same for the 2S and 4T.)

(3) Heavy use of the self-timer or viewfinder illuminator will consume cells faster. Battery mileage will be shorter than average if these features are used frequently.

(4) Use "357" or "SR44W" Silver Oxide cells in them. They will hold a constant voltage to nearly end of life, and are "watch" cells made for a small continuous drain. Although alkalines may have an enormous shelf life, they have a very short one in a 2S, 4 or 4T as an alkaline voltage starts to drop sooner under use.

(5) Severe cold weather (below about 20F) drops battery voltages and can cause any of the electronic shuttered OM's to quit working, only to be resurrected when it's cells are warmed sufficiently. How long it will run before pooping out depends on how old the cells are and how cold it is. This is no doubt a problem for many other electronic cameras. If you're planning on a lot of severe cold weather shooting, an OM-1 or OM-1n with its mechanical shutter will be much more reliable. It's why I have one of them too. The 3 and 3ti are also mechanically shuttered and very nice, but significantly more expensive than a 4T if you can find one.

-- John