Re: [OM] OM2sp flash questions

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2sp flash questions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:35:41 +0000
I've done the same as Rand with a pair of T-32's and a BG-2 without bounce, but with the 21mm WA diffuser on the one in the hot shoe. Works just fine. I hooked a short TTL Auto cable between the two T-32's using the sockets on the sides of the T-32's. This was easier than using a TTL Auto cable between the BG-2 (or T-32) and OM-4 TTL socket . . . as I also use a Winder 2 and have the BG-2 on the right, not the left. I used this setup to assist a wedding photographer last October and would have used it again for a wedding in November that I shot by myself if I hadn't bought a flash bracket.

Since this arrangement has light coming from two separate sources I recommend experimenting with which one is bounced and/or otherwise diffused, with the camera body both horizontal and vertical. If you use a T-20/T-32 like this, experiment with which one is in which shoe also. This will show you what to expect and you can pick the lighting result you like best.

Just one caution: With two flashes under TTL Auto control, especially a pair of T-32's, watch that you don't get too close to the subject for the aperture you are using. There is a minimum flash duration (and therefore a minimum distance). Two T-32's together, without bounce or diffusion, have a GN 1.414 times higher that a single one; it's about the same as a T-45. A T-32 with the 21mm WA diffuser is about the same as a T-20 without one.

Once you've got the TTL control to a T-32 through its hot shoe, you can slave another from the connector on the side. Alternatively if you can get it to the connector on the side of the T-32, you can slave another through the hot shoe if you have it in a T-20 TTL Auto Connector (which has a TTL connector on the back). The connections are all wired together in parallel.

-- John