Re: [OM] OM-2N questions

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2N questions
From: "c.e.packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 14:13:57 -0600

> OK, let me see if I understand this correctly:
>
> 1. Without batteries, the OM-2N shutter should not operate *at all* and the
> mirror should lock up when the shutter is tripped?  Are we certain about
> this?  Would someone with a properly working 2N be willing to confirm this
> for me?

    Yes, this is true. The OM-2(n) manual also confirms this. I have two -2n(s)
both exhibit this behavior. One may have a quirk about the shutter binding
occasionally and the other is working fine now that I have replaced the
batteries with newer silver oxide ones purchased just after Christmas, instead
of the "new" batteries that were floating around in my bag for close to a year.

> 2. What about the "B" setting?  Should it work conventionally by locking up
> the mirror and the shutter open as long the shutter is depressed, regardless
> of whether batteries are installed?

     Without batteries and the switch in any position "OFF, MANUAL or AUTO" the
-2n should operate as you described.
With batteries and the switch in the "OFF or MANUAL" position the shutter will
stay open as long as the shutter release is depressed.
With batteries and the switch in the "AUTO" position the shutter will stay open
until the electronics have recorded that enough light passed through for a
normal exposure.

Charles Packard