[OM] (OT) Sales contract (was ALERT !!!!! /OM Stylus Epic)

Subject: [OM] (OT) Sales contract (was ALERT !!!!! /OM Stylus Epic)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 07:16:38 +0100
It's true that, certainly in England and Wales, the price in an advertisement is only an "invitation to treat", not part of any contract. Only when you make the offer of money is the contract started - and completed if the salesman accepts.

However, I would dispute the automatic inference that the person who sold Doris the little camera for the advertised price was a moron. Perhaps he or the shop owner felt *morally* obliged to complete the sale at the advertised price, just for one person. I thought that morals were still a drving force in a large number of business deals in the USA - no irony or sarcasm intended.

Finally, what sort of price is $90 to be selling such cameras at? I am pretty sure that these thing area at least twice that price in the UK... perhaps we in Europe are subsidising big business in the USA. Now I see it: we need a Common Price conference as well as an (effective) Climate Change conference - irony intended.

Peace & Goodwill from a snowy Netherlands (we had a white Christmas hurrah!)

Chris

Unfortunately 99.999999999999999999999999999999990f store clerks refuse to
sell it to you at that price (ad, or no ad) cause they realize, that as a
typo, they really are not obligated. You lucked out. You got a moron.   :)

Larry

--
~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker