Re: [OM] (OT) which med format?

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) which med format?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:34:10 -0000
Cc: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Albert Yang wrote:
> ...I ended up buying a Moskva 5, (A Zeiss Super Ikonta C Russian
> Knockoff)  The reason is the post WWII era, the Russian lenses were
> all coated, and not all the Zeiss ones were...

I once had a real Super Ikonta, a 16-on-120, but it's big drawback was that
it focussed no closer than 5 feet and I assumed it to be a limitation of the
rotating rangefinder prism. Does the Moskva 5 focus any closer?

For the short time I was a wedding and commercial photographer, I used a
variety of medium format cameras including the Minolta Autocord (the
sharpest pictures in my collection were taken with it but their shutters
haven't lasted very well over the years), a Zenith 80 (1947 Hasselblad
clone), Rolleiflex (two out of three Rolleis that I have borrowed had
shutter/wind lockups on me). They all produced good results for the job but
when I left I didn't like them as amateur photographers' gear. They were no
fun - heavy, bulky and awkward with only the results to justify carrying
them.

The only medium format camera that was sheer enjoyment to use was the Linhof
Super Technica IV that I borrowed on a regular basis from the shop where I
worked. I couldn't afford to buy it then and I don't suppose one would be
readily affordable now, but if I wanted medium format again I'd look for one
of those, or maybe a Pentax 645, as I've never handled one.

-Keith