Re: [OM] (OT) which med format?

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) which med format?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:36:29 +0000
At 17:02 12/18/00 , Mike Cormier asked:
>So my question is:
>Does anyone on the list have experience with a variety of med for cameras?
>I'm looking at Haasey 501CM &503CW, Mamiya RB67 & 645 because they're the
>names I hear most often, but I really don't know all that much about it.
>
>Would I be better off with a less expensive TLR system, or should I go all
>out & get the new Mamiya AF Pro-S body with all the wunderbrick features of
>a N*kon F100?
>
>Also, if I pick up one of these bodies I will need a light meter as weel,
>yes? Provided I don't get a metered prism.   I'd like to stay with the WL
>finder though.  So can the same meter be used for Med For cameras as for
>35mm?

Metering:
Assuming you asking about a hand-held meter:  Yes.  It doesn't matter what
film format you are using.  What is important in making average reflected
light measurements is being aware of the meter's angle of view, your lens'
angle of view, and taking this into account when making the measurement and
setting exposure.

I've been using a Mamiya M645j with PdS metered prism finder for a couple
of years now.  It's a workhorse.  I don't yearn for a W/L finder but that
is a matter of personal preference.  The problem with a W/L finder on a 645
is having to turn the camera body sideways for vertical shots.  I think W/L
finders work much better on 6x6's, or on something like the RB67 on which
the back turns sideways versus the entire body.

If you want interchangeable lenses, I suggest an SLR.  The only TLR that
has interchangable lenses is the Mamiya "C" series of TLR's.  They are
beastly compared to a Rolleiflex.  If you really want a TLR and intend to
work in the field hand-held much, I recommend a Rolleiflex, although they
don't have interchangeable lenses.  Most popular among them are the
post-war C, E and F models.  IMO, the Mamiya TLR's are more suited for
studio work because of their size and weight, unless you intend to always
work from a heavy-duty tripod and head.  The same applies to the Mamiya
RB67; it is beastly too (as are nearly all 6x7 cameras).  I went with a 645
mostly to keep the cost down, and yet have a pretty extensive system
available, new and used, for eventual expansion.  The Sekkor lenses have an
excellent reputation, and Mamiya makes some comparatively fast ones for the
645 (in medium format terms, fast = f/2.8 or faster).

While you're at it, check out the Bronica SQ system.  The current model is
the SQ-AI, but there are some older ones early on in the SQ series that are
very good.  The Zenzanon lenses are also excellent.

You will find anything "Hasselblad" very expensive.  If cost is no object,
go for it.  It is considered the top line of medium format.  Probably
running second to them are the Rollei SLR's which are more popular in
Europe than in the U.S.  Some of the world's finest lenses are available
for the Hassey's and Rollei's (you will pay a steep price for them too).

-- John