Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:44:32
The how, why and when were in my intro message to the list earlier this year, but most of us have slept since then so...

My first SLR was a Miranda Sensorex, bought around 1970-71. The only Olympuses I'd seen up 'til then were those nifty Pen half frames. Cool but not quite what I was looking for (I didn't know there were full-frame Olympus cameras available, but blame Modern and Pop Photo for providing incomplete info).

After the seductive Miranda's meter went kaput I got a Ricoh K-mount sumpin'erother. Between my Miranda and Ricoh phases Olympus had introduced the OM-1 and OM-2 series. I was tempted - and impressed due to Herbert Keppler's favorable opinions about the OMs - but during the '70s I was a Navy Corpsman also working part-time to support a wife and two kids, and the Ricoh was cheaper. After the Ricoh went swimming in the Guadalupe River during a canoe trip I went with Canon FD gear 'cause that's what all my fellow college photojournalists used. I still use an FTbn and two T70s.

When I got serious about documenting the structures in North Central Texas that incorporate petrified wood - mostly as decorative pieces among the predominantly rock masonry - I realized that I never seemed to have the right film in any camera when I needed it. At the time I was shooting this project on Kodachrome, but my Canons usually are loaded with Fuji Superia X-tra 800, Reala, Kodak T400CN/B&W+, or Royal Gold 100.

I figured if I dedicated one system to the project only it'd always be loaded with the right film (I've since switched to Fuji Provia 100F). I decided against going with another Canon body because none of 'em is small and light enough and, frankly, it's a dead system. I love the T70s - averaging and fat spot metering, well thought out autoexposure modes, built in winders and great ergonomics - but they're essentially unrepairable. Canon didn't make 'em very long and few if any parts are available. And my FTbn had developed a disconcerting "clunk" in the prism, accompanied by a slight shift in the viewfinder image. While this has never proven detrimental to the photos taken with it, I was worried enough to put it into semi-retirement.

After looking at all the other manual focus SLR systems only two made sense: Nikon (for the FM2N) and Olympus. I'd considered Pentax but disliked the then-still-available K1000 and the LX was too expensive. By the time I was ready to make a decision (a year or so ago) I'd ruled out Nikon - all that non-AI, AI, AIS, e-i-e-i-oh was more than I cared to memorize. And the OMs and Zuikos were smaller, lighter and had the features I considered indispensable - DOF preview and mirror lock up.

While waiting for the right OM bargain to happen along I studied the OM list archives (so many of you folks seemed familiar long before I began participating), including the various OM links and webring. Hans' site proved invaluable (as we all already know). So when I lucked across a beautiful OM-1 MD at a pawn shop at a great price I didn't hesitate. Grabbed it. Love it.

Now, at the very least, the OM-1 and a 50/1.8 accompany my assorted and sordid Can-not-an-OM-on gear whenever I leave the house (the longer I search for these petrified wood structures the more I find in familiar places where they'd been for years, overlooked). Today I found another while taking my grandmother to the dentist, traveling a road I'd driven hundreds of times.

While I'm not looking forward to the day when my T70 bodies go belly up at least I know there's a viable system I can switch to. From what I've been seeing the past few years the Zuiko lenses are a better bargain than Canon FD lenses. The Zuikos are generally younger and in better shape, and prices for comparable lenses are about the same - in fact, many Zuikos are less expensive than comparable Canon FDs.

But don't tell anyone else. Let's just keep that our little 500-person secret...

Lex Jenkins
"We shall fight in the cities and on the beaches. We shall fight in the car parks and under the boardwalks. We shall fight in the townships, villages and hamlets with those funny hyphenated Welsh names with no vowels. We shall fight in the streets and if need be in the boots of very small cars, tho' I'd rather not. We shall fight in our skivvies and in our granny's dressing gowns...yes, especially that. We shall fight over land, over sea and over football games. We shall fight and we shall never surrender, nay, 'til the last draught is drunk. Yea, we shall fight unto the very last Canadian and Australian..." - W. Churchill, early draft scribbled on napkins.