Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?

Subject: Re: [OM] How and when did you get into OM?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:24:34 +0800
My first touch on OM was in 1982, a OM-10 which belong to my brother
with Sigma 35-70/2.8-4 and Tokina 85-200/4.5 (?). After he moved to
Australia in 1984 with all the stuffs, there was only a Praktica VLC
with 50mm lens left (which my brother bought before the OM-10).

Unfortunately the Praktica was failed in 1986, being just started a
housing mortgage at that time, I didn't have much money to spend.
Among what I can afford, it was narrowed down to Minolta X300 and
OM-10, comparing the feature there was almost no different between
them, but finally I have chosen the OM-10 since I had some experience
with it before. The Tamron 28-70/3.5-4.5 was the first lens I
purchase, later I also bought a Vivita Series 1 70-210/3.5. I just
thought 28-210's coverage was enough for me forever.

At around 1989, I picked up an old OM-2n brochure from the bookshelf,
I was really impressed by the superb printing, description and photos,
it was very convincing. I start to think that I need a real camera -
the OM2n, since the OM2n was discontinued, I can't get a new one,
finally I bought a used OM2, this was also my first purchase of used
equipment. My first impression on it was a great camera with solid
feel. After that, searching and buying OM gears became an addition,
within the same year I got a Zuiko 50/1.4, 85/2, 35/2, and sold the
Tamron and Vivita. Just two years later I had three OM bodies included
a new 4Ti and eight Zuikos.

There was a slow down between 1993-1998, but starting from 1998 after
I have learned some OM fans on the net, it started again and became
more serious than before. Within two years, my OM collections were
more than double. All non OMs are sold including the Minolta AF and
Bronica SQ-A system. Now I have over 30 different Zuikos and ten
bodies.

I just thought I will be stop by now and future investment should be
made on Olympus Digital, but a friend told me his friend want to sell
a 24 Shift.... I'm now in trouble to decide between the 24 and E-10.

C.H.Ling