Re: [OM] .....sad news.....

Subject: Re: [OM] .....sad news.....
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:41:32 +1100
Someone said that placing the lens in the sun for a few days (eg on a window ledge) can kill off fungus. What about a couple of weeks sealed up with silica gel? At least if you can kill off the fungus and the spores it won't get any worse. Don't know if it will make it better though.....

I also recall a post or an article somewhere about some kind of crystals that you can store with a fungus'd lens . The crystals give off some kind of vapour that kills the fungus. I personally don't like the sound of it much and have never used the technique, but if you haven't got much to lose.....

Let me know if you are interested and I'll try and see if I can find the articles. I'm sure I still have something around about fungus.

cheers

peter

tmlee wrote:

 Dear All.....
 I sent my 35-105 zuiko zoom for cleaning.....

 Got a reply recently from the repairman.... he said the fungus has grown
 between two lens elements where they are supposed to be cemented
 together...... he doesn't have the lens group so he can swap..... he also
 said Japan doesn't have...... he experienced Japan sending him back some
 other similar cases saying they can't help for lack of parts.....

 Anyone have any suggestions on how to resurrect the zoom to pristine status
 ?

 The fungus is not so bad, but can't be ignored..... I like my optics clean
 and in exc condition..... its also the first and only lens for a good 5
 years before I bought other lenses...... it still has a special place in my
 dri-cab..........

 thanks in advance....

 peace
 TMLee