Re: [OM] filter for 350mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] filter for 350mm f2.8
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:13:25 EST
 HI Giles,  In alot of situations, I agree. No filter would be the rule and
preferable way to go.  Where I am from-the Pacific Northwest, I see problems
with trees and sticks and rain while trying to shoot on the go.  Also, one
scratch on a lens like these-take many $100's or even a $1000+ off their
value.  That's alot of pressure : )
I know that front element cosmetics aren't as important as clean rear ones
and fungus free inner elements, but we all like to have clean glass for
optimal shooting.
A recent trip to Nepal and the dirty dusty conditions also showed me a
protective filter is a good idea most of the time for me. The filter came off
when conditions were slow and calm.
Atleast Olympus could have put a front element that is clear and protective
like the other big glass companies.  The 400mm f2.8 C*n*n I have has 2 front
protective elements that can be replaced alot cheaper than the Olympus "real"
first element when that bull elk gets too friendly or I trip, (more likely : )
And with Olympus-how much longer can they be counted on for even being able
to replace such a rare front element piece? ( good Olympus good Olympus-not a
slam)   : )

John