Re: [OM] Bellows usage with several lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Bellows usage with several lenses
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 13:57:25 -0600
Olaf Greve wrote:
> in the section about copying slides it is deliberately mentioned
> that "the lens" (Pangerl discusses the usage of the 80/4, the 50/3.5 and
> normal 50mm lenses) should be set to infinity.
> Now, from what I've
> gathered, the 50/3.5's close up aberration control group only kicks in when
> the lens is set to the closest focus. IOW, when the lens is set to infinity,
> as should be done according to Pangerl, this group will not kick in. Now the
> question is: which setting should I really set the 50/3.5 at for best
> results. Should it be the closest focus one (i.e. put the lens to full
> extension), or the infinity setting? Intuitively I would guess the closest
> focus setting, but perhaps there is a special reason why this would not
> apply to the 50/3.5 when used on a bellows...

I'm confident that the admonition to set the lens at infinity in this
case is related specifically to it's use with the Olympus slide copying
apparatus.  Elsewhere in this section, Pangerl indicates that the
various components of the bellows/slide copying system must be set to
the index markings on the focusing bar (rail).  If the lens is focused
at any distance closer than infinity, these relationships
(body/lens/subject) would become unpredictable.  (My 1977 English
version of his book does not include an exclaimation mark, but is
emphatic.)

Incidentally, the "floating" element incorportated in this and many
other designs shifts while focusing to provide optimum performance
throughout the focusing range - there is not a particular distance where
the floating element "kicks in".

> Secondly, I was wondering which non-macro lenses can successfully be used on
> the bellows, and what their advantages might be....

Earlier in this chapter (Chapter 7: Macrophotography), Pangerl offers a
short discussion on this topic - in essence, any lens will fit, but only
certain focal lengths are suitable for use on a bellows.  He advises
staying from 35mm to 135mm lenses for a variety of reasons, but notes
that lenses specifically designed for "macro" work provide superior
performance when used with a bellows.