RE: [OM] Bellows usage with several lenses

Subject: RE: [OM] Bellows usage with several lenses
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:49:47 -0600
>===== Original Message From "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx> =====
>I was wondering about a few "best uses" for the (Oly) bellows with several
>lenses. I hope someone can give me a conclusive answer:
>
>Firstly, in a book I have which was written by Pangerl (it's a 1982 Dutch
>translation of a book based on The world of OM systems, and on a book about
>the OM-10), in the section about copying slides it is deliberately mentioned
>that "the lens" (Pangerl discusses the usage of the 80/4, the 50/3.5 and
>normal 50mm lenses) should be set to infinity. In fact, he even added an
>exclamation mark to that statement, which indicates to me that this is
>probably not a misprint, but a well considered remark. Now, from what I've
>gathered, the 50/3.5's close up aberration control group only kicks in when
>the lens is set to the closest focus. IOW, when the lens is set to infinity,
>as should be done according to Pangerl, this group will not kick in. Now the
>question is: which setting should I really set the 50/3.5 at for best
>results?

Olaf,
This won't be a conclusive answer but just a thought. Perhaps the close up
aberration control is useful when using the lens itself in its most extended
(close up) range.  When using bellows, extension of the lens itself is not
required and therefore shouldn't be used, which would explain Pangerl's
recommendation.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA