[OM] Bellows usage with several lenses

Subject: [OM] Bellows usage with several lenses
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 13:56:17
Hi,

I was wondering about a few "best uses" for the (Oly) bellows with several lenses. I hope someone can give me a conclusive answer:

Firstly, in a book I have which was written by Pangerl (it's a 1982 Dutch translation of a book based on The world of OM systems, and on a book about the OM-10), in the section about copying slides it is deliberately mentioned that "the lens" (Pangerl discusses the usage of the 80/4, the 50/3.5 and normal 50mm lenses) should be set to infinity. In fact, he even added an exclamation mark to that statement, which indicates to me that this is probably not a misprint, but a well considered remark. Now, from what I've gathered, the 50/3.5's close up aberration control group only kicks in when the lens is set to the closest focus. IOW, when the lens is set to infinity, as should be done according to Pangerl, this group will not kick in. Now the question is: which setting should I really set the 50/3.5 at for best results. Should it be the closest focus one (i.e. put the lens to full extension), or the infinity setting? Intuitively I would guess the closest focus setting, but perhaps there is a special reason why this would not apply to the 50/3.5 when used on a bellows...

Secondly, I was wondering which non-macro lenses can successfully be used on the bellows, and what their advantages might be. In particular, I have the 100/2 and the 135/2.8 in mind, for being able to get a bit more distance between the lens and the subject (insects!) than would be possible with a 50/3.5. So, what I'm especially interested in, is finding out how well these two lenses can be used in such a way. Up to what magnifications will this work well? What are potential pitfalls? Etc. I would expect the 100/2 to do a pretty good job in this type of set-up, but perhaps also the 135/2.8 could be interesting. What I'm hoping for a bit, is a poor man's version of the 135/4.5 Macro lens. I don't care about losing infinity focussing when these lenses are mounted on the bellows (or the vario extension tube, for that matter), the thing which interests me is finding out how well the usage of such a set-up will do in comparison to the same set-up with the 135/4.5. Now, of course I'd expect the 135/4.5 to give sharper images, as it is optimised for this usage (rather than infinity usage), but how much of an issue is this really? Also, it could actually be very interesting to use the 100/2 or 135/2.8 in such a set-up as they are considerably faster than the 135/4.5 Macro.

Anyone (C.H. Ling?, Gary Reese?, Hnz?, Giles?, ...?) any suggestions?

Cheers!
Olafo