Re: [OM] Modifying Olympus Screens

Subject: Re: [OM] Modifying Olympus Screens
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:21:11 +0100
(I have removed the OT label... this discussion had almost vanished in
my OT thrash filter...)

I talked about this subject with a friend of mine who is a dentist.
We concluded that the first step in the process will be to make a
frame for the screens, i.e. a mould which the screens fit exactly into
and - most important-  with edges which are only a tiny bit thicker
than the thickness of those screens.

I hope to try this soon with some of the materials to make dental
impressions with - preferably rather stiff but slightly elastic too
and with a soft rubber-like surface. The choice of dental materials
seems to be abundant.
You can of course use an old damaged screen when making the mould. I
hope that all screens have tthe same thickness, but I am not sure. I
know that the 1-9 screen is thicker, but you wouldn't want to put
lines on that one...

With the new screen  (the one to be modified) embedded in the mould,
it must be much easier to put a ruler on the screen to guide the
blade. Or more precisely (if the edges have the right thickness!) to
put a ruler just above the screen, with a few microns of air in
between. The rubber-like material will prevent the ruler from
shifting.

Please comment on these ideas...

Frank van Lindert.
Utrecht NL