[OM] NiCads versus NiMH [was] [OT] As the Winder Turns: Some of the Ear

Subject: [OM] NiCads versus NiMH [was] [OT] As the Winder Turns: Some of the Early Experimen
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 22:00:53 +0000
At 21:11 11/11/00 , Giles wrote:
>However, I did mange to get some.  I prefer NiCad to NiMh personally.
>
>Giles

Hmmm, that's why I put the "??" after the capacity for the NiCads.  Just as
for NiMH, there are higher and lower capacity versions.

One thing that puzzles me is your preference for NiCads over NiMH.  NiCads
are notorious for developing a charging memory if "topped off."  Supposedly
NiMH do not suffer this, and last longer (more recharges) before they
noticeably degrade.  However, I'm no expert on NiMH.  Is there something
you know about a downside to NiMH cells that those of us new to them don't?
 (Wouldn't surprise me that they are not a panacea.)

The charger I have will handle either.  I looked for balanced comparative
data, but found mostly advertising hype requiring much reading between the
lines.

-- John