Re: [OM] NiCads versus NiMH [was] [OT] As the Winder Turns: Some of the

Subject: Re: [OM] NiCads versus NiMH [was] [OT] As the Winder Turns: Some of the Early Experimen
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:24:29 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, John A. Lind wrote:

>>yup, and i speak from experience. they will LEAK OUT very quickly.
>
>Yes, an overcharge condition builds up Hydrogen gas pressure internally.
>There are supposedly vents designed into the cells that are intended to
>"give" and allow venting before the rest of the battery case does (i.e.
>explodes), but I don't know how well that does or does not work (and I
>don't wish to test it).  It is this gas pressure that undoubtedly creates
>the leakage.

a ha thanks for the info. i've been there done that, both the leaked
cell(s) (unintentional, but i should have known better to time the sucker
on a non-NiMH charger), and the blown cell (parents ask me what that
gunshot like sound was last night and what's this mess of black stuff
around the charger and the office.... ahem)