[OM] How good, single- vs. multi-element close-up lenses?

Subject: [OM] How good, single- vs. multi-element close-up lenses?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:27:20 GMT
I dunno, because I forgot to write down which I used in which photo.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1005538&a=8442592&p=32629355

Subject: mom's toothless cat Diva; once a champion show cat, now a drooling lap cat.

Both 4x6 glossies were scanned simultaneously and minimal adjustments were applied globally to ensure uniform, accurate representation of color and resolution. Any differences I can see are due solely to focus (i.e., operator error).

OM-1, Zuiko 70-150/4, one w/ OM single-element f=40cm close-up lens; one w/ multi-element iS/L A-Macro HQ converter f:40cm close-up lens. T20 flash on auto (f/8 setting), 1/60 @ f/8. Kodak Royal Gold 100.

Having just given mom the "nicer" multi-element close-up lens in exchange for the single-element version, I'm satisfied now with the exchange. I doubt any significant differences will be apparent with anything other than flat field subjects.

For the curious, I've taken several photos using the Zuiko 70-150/4 at 150mm combined with one or the other of the two 40cm close-up lenses and found it to be a very good combo. It allows a comfortable working distance, plenty of focus throw to fine-tune even handheld shots, excellent resolution as evidenced by these photos, and a very compatible combination with the T20 flash for fill- or full-flash use.