Re: [OM] Backpacking cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpacking cameras
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 05:06:34 +0000
At 04:39 10/31/00 , John M Gaasland wrote:
>Thanks Charles. I have a Stylus Epic and I'm not very happy with it,
>seems like it's not as sharp as I had hoped it to be. Thanks everone for
>your advice and comments too. John.

This is heresy but . . .
The camera I carried in a padded ammo pouch in all sorts of weather for a
long time was a Rollei 35T with 40mm f/3.5 Tessar bought in about 1979.
Sold it about a year or so ago.  Also have a Rollei 35S bought not quite a
year later with a 40mm f/2.8 Sonnar.  Still have (and use) the Rollei 35S.
Solid, mechanical (except the meter) and stellar lenses.  Almost bought an
XA and glad I got the 35T instead, and the 35S.  The Rollei 35S is like
having an OM-1 in a manual, mechanical P&S with a very quiet shutter.  For
a single fixed lens, the 40/2.8 Sonnar is versatile, exceptionally sharp
and high resolution.  I shoot a lot of ISO 100 Ektachrome through it.  As
with the OM-1 it uses the PX-625 for the meter, and mine now has an MR-9
with silver cell in it.  When they were unveiled at the 1966 Photokina, the
Rollei 35 was the world's smallest full-frame 35mm camera, with lens
collapsed it's about the size of an XA, but slightly heavier with the
nearly all-metal construction.  It's always in the bag, in a belt pouch,
with the OM-1n body, and it's the go anywhere camera when an SLR is too
big, too heavy, or too obtrusive.

-- John