RE: [OM] Backpacking cameras

Subject: RE: [OM] Backpacking cameras
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:22:33 -0000
I must be a mug. I've been walking, climbing and backpacking since I was
14*, first with a Zenit E with an enormous lens on it, then with an OM1n
with 50/1.8, to which I progressively added 28/3.5 and 75-150/4.

Mind you, given my recent propensity for dropping expensive Zuikos in mud,
maybe my backpacking kit should consist of off-brand 28-70 (Miranda) and
60-200 (Sigma) zooms. I have done trial shots with these and the Kodachromes
look pretty good. And I *was* wearing my specs...

These are both pretty light and if I drop them, what the heck? But I
wouldn't be out in the Cairngorms in February with a battery-dependent
camera. No way. It may not be Canada, but Braemar's local geography makes it
the coldest place in Britain (I was there when it set at least one record...
brrrrrrr!).

At an absolute push, I would use my 'out on the bike' kit, my XA2 and XA1.
Vignetting? What vignetting? Really light travel would be XA1 only.

Donald.

* (sob) - 30 years...