Re: [OM] E-Groups ?

Subject: Re: [OM] E-Groups ?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:04:51 -0500
Cc: <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Works exactly like this list.  You can get individual emails, you can get a
digest or you can read the emails on their website. It also has archive
search built-in.

The beauty is that it is free.  They do put a small advertisement in each
message, but for $56/year you can have them eliminated.  They're really no
too intrusive, but if we do the switch, then I'd chip in on the fee.

Most of the 'user' commands are via email addresses.  For example, if our
list was named Zuiko, the commands would be:

zuiko-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx        - sub*scribe (defaults to 'normal' mode -
individual emails)
zuiko-nomail@xxxxxxxxxxx            - go nomail temporarily (still viewable
on the web)
zuiko-digest@xxxxxxxxxxx            - switch to digest mode
zuiko-normal@xxxxxxxxxxx        - switch to individual email mode (from
nomail or digest)

The administration functions are web-based, which would be a pain for you,
given your per-minute charges.  However, very little administration needs to
be done, just the occasional sub/unsub/ban functions.

You can have a 'lead moderator' that owns the list and sub-moderators with
limited or all authority.  The are special email addresses:

zuiko-owner@xxxxxxxxxxx
zuiko-moderator@xxxxxxxxxxx

that go directly to the moderators, which is handy, as egroups users
eventually learn that.

I'm not suggesting, by any means, that the current approach is flawed, as
clearly I love the list.  Egroups just has an infrastructure that is pretty
slick and reliable.  The messages are also sent instantly.  Just thought I'd
share a little more info. My wife runs a list about this size on egroups and
I help out as a co-moderator pretty often.

I'd certainly be willing to help split the admin duties.  I could be the
sub/unsub kind of guy.

Just my thoughts.

Tom

From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>