[OM] OM gear with longest life expectancy (was: OM-3Ti)

Subject: [OM] OM gear with longest life expectancy (was: OM-3Ti)
From: Jim Terazawa <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:31:30 -0500
No matter whether LCD is used (means power supply voltage applied) or not, the
LCD driver IC, CPU, and other integrated circuits will suffer either from
corrosions
of the aluminum wires (film corrosion caused by either moisture or sodium) or
electromigration of the metals used in these ICs approximately in 10~20 years.
The reason for wide range of the life time of these ICs is their frequency of
usages,
storage and climate conditions vary.  Also the different wire widths are used
in one technology to the another - usually narrower to raise packing density.

Being in the silicon technology field since 1978, the life time of these
products

is getting shorter.  I think it is a part of equations in the economics,
marketing,
and profit/loss of consumer producers.

I have a Canon Model 7 passed on from my father which he bought it brand
new in 1963.  Its cds/mechanical meter is still in working condition and my
21 year old OM-2N started to lock up the mirror intermittently when shutter
speed exceed faster than 1/125 even after it was serviced at authorized Olympus
repair (Photosphere of Dallas).

Jim Terazawa