Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Perfect portrait lens
From: Jim Couch <spknsprkt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 12:19:56 -0700
I have found that the 135mm is often to long for portrait work, you
relly need
a lot of room to manuever with it. I have used the 100 f2.8 for a few
years and
really liked it for potraits, but just picked up an 85 f2 after having
played
with one a bit I think will be even better. In fact I am selling the 100
f2.8
as it is rather redundant now that I have the 85. Have done a little
'informal'
portrait work with my 35-70, and found that the 70 got me in just a
little to
close. It is amazing how even a subject you know well (my daughter)
tends to
'stiffen up' when you move in past a certain point.

The 85 gives me room to manuever, but keeps just enough distance, It
also produces a flattering perspective that I think you loose when you
go with anything smaller.

Jim Couch