Re: [OM] OM 1 light meter

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 1 light meter
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 22:29:13 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> >: 1. Is there an Oly lens or accessory that you wonder why you bought
> >: it because it is not that great?  That is, not that great.
> >
> >Eyecup 2 w/o correction lens. Completely useless to prevent false light
> >entering the viewfinder.
> >

> >hnz
> >
> That is interesting. Has anyone explored how much light from the
> viewfinder affects the meter reading on the OM1?  There is probably
> not much direct sunlight that would enter the viewfinder window since
> it would be blocked by your head.  Sunlight at an angle to get by
> your head should be blocked by the sides and top of the Eyecup 2.
> Will ordinary ambient light(not direct sunlight) affect the reading?
> Do I need a baseball cap with side curtains?
>
> Winsor

I would say the reading would be off by as much as half a stop if one is not
quite cautious under circumstances where there is in particular very strong
over-the-shoulder side light.  But I'm happy with the performance of eyecup
2 in all circumstances.  For me it's much more comfortable than the eyecup
1.  I actually put an eyecup 2 without correction on my OM-4T because it
improved my ability to line up my eye to the finder.

Something for everybody with Oly.  <G>

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA