Re: [OM] "Black Nose" v.s. "Silver Nose"

Subject: Re: [OM] "Black Nose" v.s. "Silver Nose"
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 15:57:32 +0000
At 20:10 10/7/00 , Tom Scales wrote:
>The challenge is that many of the early fast lenses were multicoated but
>still had the x.Zuiko and didn't have MC. That's not the case here, but
>certainly adds to the confusion.
>
>Quoting from the eSif:  "Exceptions may be early productions of the fast
>(F2) wide angles that may have had had these characters but were multicoated
>from the very beginning.".  In this quote, 'these characters' is referring
>to x.Zuiko.
>
>This is an area that frustrates me about Zuikos.  It should (and could) have
>been much easier.
>
>Tom

Oops, forgot about that part; thanks Tom.  I'm wondering if Oly didn't use
up stocks of lens rings during the changeovers, which could create outliers
in the data.  There's also the possibility of outliers in data points from
lens repairs which replace the original ring with another scavanged from a
"parts" lens.

The other frustrating aspect is using the coating reflections.  I have not
found a highly reliable method for performing this.  I have used the lens
survey to add more confidence to whether a lens is SC or MC.  I don't
concern myself too much with that alone, other than establishing its fair
market value.  I look at overall performance, and the number of coatings
doesn't affect it as much as other factors.  It can be used as a
formulation indicator, if there was a major reformulation tied to SC to MC
switch (i.e., the 50/1.4).

It would be nice if there were accessible records of S/N's and when
coatings changed, but I've never heard of any.  I think the lens survey and
the scouring of OM literature looking for "first mention" of MC was done to
help plug that gap.  The question may have been posed to John H. before
about how those replacing lens elements during lens repair sort this all
out.  Is there anything?

-- John