Re: [OM] 50/1.4 vs. 50/1.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/1.4 vs. 50/1.8
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:40:57 -0600
At 04:58 AM 9/27/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>as i've stated before, i'm a huge fan of the 50/3.5 olympus macro as a
>standard lens.  but i've been thinking of trying to find a faster lens, and i
>dun' looked for an affordable 40/2 (not likely.)  i should mention that the
>50/1.4 failed to win me over....

If you can borrow a 50/1.2, give that a whirl.  Just bought a new one last
Christmas, and it's my favourite "standard" lens (my favourite wide-angle being
the 28/2.0).

>should i look for the 50/1.8????  (as many people on the list seem a little
>giddy about the 50/1.8......)
>
>is it a good/ great next choice for a fast 50????

It's good, sharp, contrasty (if you get the later models) and dirt cheap, even
brand spankin' new.  B&H Photo lists 'em for $129.95 U.S., and used ones can be
had cheaply for around $20 to $30 U.S.  (I bought one from a close-out,
brand-new, on eBay, for $34.95 U.S.).  For those prices, you can afford to lay
out a few bucks.  You could also check out other suppliers such as The Olympus
Guy, who sells new and used equipment on his site (www.olympusguy.com).

Garth