Re: [OM] Help ! - B&W

Subject: Re: [OM] Help ! - B&W
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:15:53 +0000
Tri-X (ISO 400) is the classic for B/W portraiture with its soft grain
(it's not that small, but it is smooth).  It also has good latitude.  Shoot
some using no filters (or just a UV), and some with a Yellow #6 (K1) or
Yellow #8 (K2).  The difference between a #6 and #8 is very slight so it
doesn't matter much.  The yellow filter will increase contrast slightly and
render some of the colors, especially sky and green foliage, with gray tone
contrasts more like how we perceive them in color.  A yellow filter can be
a *problem* if the subject has blonde hair by making it appear too dark!

Loss of light is typically a full stop with a K2, but can vary by filter
manufacturer.  The ISO 400 Tri-X will absorb a full stop of a filter.  If
you use TTL, Auto or Manual, don't worry about it, and set the camera for
ISO 400 as long as you TTL meter with the filter on the lens.  If you use a
hand held meter, remember to make an exposure correction on it!

Contrasts between pastel clothing, fair skin, and pale (concrete, etc.)
backgrounds can tend to wash together in the same gray shades.  Similarly
with black subjects, their skin tones can get lost against darker colors
including clothing and shaded vegetation.  Set up contrasts between light
and dark colors between subject(s), their clothing and backgrounds for
things you want separated by contrast in grays.  What can appear to be a
strong contrast in color (classic example: red and blue) can end up the
same shade of gray if they are both light, medium or dark.  You may not be
able to get rid of it all, but you can avoid some of it.

Take your time, do things deliberately, and don't let yourself get rushed.
Set up the shoot so nobody, them or you, are pressed for time.  If you
want, do some experiments with members of your own family first in similar
settings, look at the results, and go from there.  You'll do just fine.

BTW, you will see the Green #11 or #13 (X1 and X2 respectively) mentioned
in B/W filter literature to lighten foliage and separate skin tones from
sky tones.  These are trickier to use.  I recommend just using the Yellow,
if any.

-- John