Re: [OM] OT - Firearms, was Batteries, batteries, batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Firearms, was Batteries, batteries, batteries
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 19:05:12 -0700
When it comes to looking for somewhere safer in the world to live, I suppose
that you have to decide where you want to set the slider between 'Personal
Freedoms' and 'Repressive Regime.'

Then there's Switzerland, where handguns are illegal, and every adult male is REQUIRED to have an assault rifle on hand. On the weekend, you can't go anywhere in the countryside and be out of earshot of a firing range. But there were only six murders in 1992, when I moved there -- one murder per million inhabitants. (I understand the rate has increased since then.)

Swiss joke: "You know why there's so little crime in Switzerland? We have six million policemen." (Switzerland's population is six million.)

After a trip to Geneva, Alexander Solzenitzen (sp?) remarked that he couldn't wait to get back to Russia, where he felt he had some freedom.

One of the most self-repressive democracies in the world, yet I've never felt safer than when I lived there. There's something to be cherished in being shouted at when you walk against the "walk" light at an intersection... :-)

What does all this prove? That you can prove anything you like with statistics and anecdotes! :-)

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>