Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:37:55 GMT
Mmm...I've become reluctant to engage in these conversations since they seem to accomplish nothing. One side says its piece, the other side says its piece, neither side appears any more enlightened about its fellow, and everyone ends up irritated.

Let's try this analogy. Assume Someplace U.S.A. is a dangerous place to be because motorists choose to drive wearing blindfolds rather than seatbelts. But I choose to drive wearing a seatbelt rather than a blindfold. How have I made the situation more dangerous?

Granted I could attempt to avoid the situation entirely by not driving. But no-impact living is not an option for most of us.

The 'blindfold' element is a deliberate choice. Pretending danger does not exist is like wearing a blindfold. I choose not to wear one. Does the world seem scarier? Sure. Is it, in fact, more or less dangerous because I don't wear a blindfold? Hardly.

Lex
===

From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:15:06 +1100

Funny - I caught a short burst of Oprah the other day in passing and she
was interviewing some guy about safe tourism - given the tendency for
hijaking and kidnapping in places like the Phillipines. Never once
mentioned South Georgia or any other place in the States strange blindness.
Why do you guys choose to live in such a dangerous place and deal with it
by making it more dangerous?
Andrew