Re: [OM] OK, it's not flashes anymore (about those subject lines....) -

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, it's not flashes anymore (about those subject lines....) - OT - back to cars
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 15:01:41 -0500
On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 01:39:22PM +0200, Volkhart Baumgaertner wrote:
> I really don't understand the point of this discussion. At U.S. gas prices,
> a vehicle's gas mileage should be a rather unimportant factor in a buying
> decision.

It's all relative. The difference between your US$3.60/gallon for premium
unleaded and the US$1.65 or so here in Houston - and the US$2.09 I saw in
San Jose, CA a couple of weeks ago - is the difference between making the
choice between 40 and 60 MPG, and making the choice between 15 and 30 MPG.

While most Americans wouldn't put up with the kinds of gas prices, and the
tiny underpowered cars, Europeans do, that doesn't eman we don't get hit in
the wallet when the price goes up. My Toyota RAV4 is a case in point: I get
about 25 MPG on the highway, and the car is both smaller and less powerful
than most - yet it'd be considered both fairly large *and* well-powered with
its 2-L engine in Europe.