Re: [OM] Zuiko Tour 2000

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Tour 2000
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 14:19:21 +0000
>Well, I'm trying to figure out my gear selection for this trip.  Problem is
>that there will be four adults and two toddlers stuffed with a week's worth
>of camping gear in a minivan.  I have with great reluctance decided to not
>take the medium format gear because of the space requirements.  Bummer dude.

It looks like it's time for an OM experience.

>Tripod selection is difficult as I have three, but space for only one.  Do
>I take the 3221 or the 3001?  I've modified the 3001 for ground level work,
>but it doesn't stand nearly as tall which is a problem when shooting over
>weeds.  If I take the 3221, I'll need to put the leg covers back on.  The
>3001 is easier to hike with, lighter, and already has the covers on.  The
>3221 helps me to think more seriously about photography.  The 3001 goes
>with me easier and is less likely to be left in the car.

3001

>Camera bags are a concern.  Do I take the bigger bag that can hold
>everything with comfort or the smaller one and not take winders or the
>200/2.8.  Space constraints would push me towards the smaller bag, but I'm
>thinking I might beable to get it to "fly" as I can multitask the bag with
>other doodads such as the family camera or camcorder.

Um, *what* 200/2.8?? What do you need a winder for, you're not shooting a
basketball game. Take the small bag and slow lenses. Most "photo-ops" will be
during the day. You'll be too tired at night to shoot stars.

>Film.  ProviaF, but I am probably going to augement with a new polorizer.
>I need to get a brick.

bring some 400 speed print film in case the sun don't shine.

>Expresso maker.  You think we are going to rough it that much?  Just when
>I've developed a really wicked blend which I call:  "Puts Hair on Your
>Teeth and Calls You Betsie!"  I think the expresso maker will be a voted on
>item.

you're going to have *electricty* availble? That's not camping!! And what in
the name of heaven is wrong with cowboy coffee???

>If I must limit my 35mm gear I have a 24mm, 35shift, 35-70/2.8 zoom,
>100/2.8 and a 200/2.8 to choose from and two camera bodies.

drop the shift and the howitzer. You don't have a slower long lens, like a
200/4?

>I've got to get a new pair of gloves and I'm looking at the split-fingered
>type that ice-fishermen use.  Hmm.....

for people with big hands, fingerless gloves are great. but the new lycra or
whatever thin gloves are real stretchy and also work great.

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright