RE: [OM] A question about flashes....

Subject: RE: [OM] A question about flashes....
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:18:46 -0400
Thomas,
I buy mine used for $15.  I think, new, they are ~$35.  In the US, the model
is called the Bogen Super Clamp.  They can be purchased with and without the
stud.  The Super Clamp has a 1-3 1/4 20 pre-drilled and threaded holes for
additional studs.  I think the number is due to manufacturing variations in
different years.
I have seen "knock-offs" from other suppliers (JTL) that look almost as good
as the Super Clamp for less money.  Nice thing about the Super Clamp is that
a portion of the clamping section is shaped like a "V" so that it can clamp
surfaces that are not flat.  Great on table corners and tops of chairs!

I also use a light weight tripod/clamp device called an Ultrapod.  I have
seen two sizes (have one of each).  The larger size is ~8" long.  Has the
mandatory 3 legs and a rather light duty ball head.  The legs have a vinyl
coating that has a very high coefficient of friction and hold on to other
surfaces quite well.  The really attractive part is the Velcro strap that is
attached to the tripod.  When the legs are folded, the strap can go around
the legs and attach around a chair leg or other piece that can be up to ~ 3'
in diameter.  The strap is ~ 12-14" in length.   I carry these all the time
in case I can't get access to a rail or table top with the Super Clamp.

The Ultrapod cost me $30 new.  Made of plastic material.   Much more than
adequate for T32.  Would even hold an OM and lens in a static situation.  I
do not use the Magic Arm with the Ultrapod.  The Magic Arm is too heavy.
But, since the Ultrapod has a ball head, the Magic Arm isn't needed nearly
as much as on the Super Clamp.  Magic Arms are HEAVY!  They look just like
your arm with a locking device where your elbow is.  Difference is that they
can swivel 360 at the elbow!

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Brian,

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Brian P. Huber wrote:

> Bogen (Manfrotto) makes a clamp, and I've seen others that will attach to
> chair or any object ~ 1.5 inches deep.  I use them for product
> demonstrations.

Interresting, do you happen to know what price-range they are in? I will
try to look that up, at least it sounds like something worth trying if it
is not terribly expensive.