Re: [OM] Product availability

Subject: Re: [OM] Product availability
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:39:04 -0700
At 04:37 PM 8/28/00 -0700, John Hudson wrote:

>As an aside, I saw a new 3T in a downtown Vancouver photo store priced
>at Cdn$2,299 for the body only. If that price is fairly representative
>of prices in other Canadian outlets I would not be overly surprised if
>demand is low and they are no longer being stocked. The store carries
>several of each of the current Leica M and R bodies and virtually all
>the non-exotic M and R lenses and does a fairly brisk trade in all of
>them plus it has an active used Leica department. As a poorly advertised
>and "non-glamour" brand, if that is the right turn of phrase, I think
>that a $2,299 3T body can't be taken very seriously by other than a very
>small number of buyers indeed......and that number is likely far smaller
>than the actual and potential pool of Leica buyers. At $2,299 I think
>that Olympus is looking to put itself out of the OM line.
>
>Just my $0.02 ....or $0.0135US!

John,

I had a long chat with Carsen (the Canadian dist) several months ago.
During the conversation they admitted the ONLY series body they had in
stock was a 4Ti - and it had been that way for "awhile". In addition they
had next to nothing in lenses. There is no doubt Olympus is a very small
niche market.
Barry H
PS carsen also confirmed that ALL their Oly gear comes through Oly US -
hence the discrepancy in pricing.