RE: [OM] Re: Bogen tripod [Was Need advice: 38/2.8] -Reply

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Bogen tripod [Was Need advice: 38/2.8] -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:44:32 -0400
I have both the 3221 and 3201 with Arca Swiss B-1 and a Linhof Prof II
respectively. I also have a couple of cheap pods with Bogen ball heads and hex
plate quick releases. I use them mostly for off camera flash. The Linhof is
cheaper but doesn't provide Arca's progressive resistance. In either case I
strongly prefer the Arca-Swiss clamp system to anything Bogen makes, especially
if you get the Really Right Stuff. This is by no means cheap!.

As far as the lens selection. I have the 135 and 80 short mounts  which I use on
the 65-115. Frankly, I find even the 80 does not give enough working distance to
shoot (unfrozen) insects. I find the 135 and either a macro ringlight or T32 on
a butterfly bracket most useful. I also have the Tamron 90/2.5 which is quite
versatile and gives reasonable working distance. I can't see using the 38
outside a controlled setup.

Some of the work I've done with this equipment can be found here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/scottcnelson1
The insect and flower sections were mostly done with the 135 and 90. The
aquarium shots I did mostly with a 50/1.4 on extension rings.

>>> "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx> 08/27/00 09:25pm >>>
Frank,
Get the best ball head you can afford.  The serious Bogen ones work well.  I
have a 3028 on my 3401, a 3265 on my monopod, a Benbo on my Benbo and a
Gitzo ball on the Velbon.  All are satisfactory, but doing it over, I'd
maybe spring for an even heavier Bogen head (maybe the 3436).
A nice head I've had for 25 years is a Leitz ball.  Light weight and solid.
Got it when I sold photo so it was cheap for me then, now ...

Best are supposed to be Arca Swiss, but I can't see $300+ for a ball head.
My photography just ain't that great.

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

Which head did you purchase with it?  Should I get a pan and tilt or a ball?