RE: [OM] Re: Bogen tripod [Was Need advice: 38/2.8]

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Bogen tripod [Was Need advice: 38/2.8]
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 06:04:08 GMT
My 3001 came with the 3028 Super 3D tilt/pan head. Extremely flexible but has certain limitations. To summarize, if you're gonna get a tilt/pan head, I'd strongly recommend looking at Bogen/Manfrotto's new head with quick release and three (3-count 'em-3) bubble levels. It's about $65 or so. Yeh, that's about double the price of the 3D and Super 3D heads, but... I'm thinking horizon leveling, architectural shooting, etc.

Otherwise, I really like the 3265 pistol grip ballhead, also about $65 or so. It has a single bubble level, but positioned where it really doesn't do much good, kinda like the Slik U-212's. Folks who've used the 3265 for a while tell me it's fine for lenses up to 300mm, but may creep a bit with heavier loads. Also the 3265 adds 5" or so of height which may help with shortish 'pods.

[Excessive detail alert:] Like I said, the 3028 Super 3D head is very versatile. Great for everything from compact to 8x10 cameras. The largish cork-covered platform *can* interfere with mounting of certain lenses like the shifters. Fortunately the large "T" shaped slot facilitates lots of room for positioning the camera so all controls operate properly and lenses fit. But it may not necessarily be in the position you'd prefer. That can make a big difference in handling ease, because if you're accustomed to the platform tilting one direction and instead it flops another, crunching your thumb in the process, causing you to cuss and stomp around in little circles, well... you get the idea.

So, after having used a tilt/pan head for a few years I'd strongly recommend it to anyone using 35mm, MF and LF cameras, but not to someone using just 35mm. A ballhead would be better. Unless horizon leveling is critical or you use a shift lens. Then be sure to get a tilt/pan head with bubble levels.

Aside from the 3265 grip action ballhead I really like the Giottos ballheads. Super smooth and priced about the same as Bogen/Manfrottos, which tend to require lots of use to smooth 'em out according to folks I know who use 'em. But the same is true of B/M's cone bearings on their tilt/pan heads.

Lex
===