[OM] Re: Hiking kit.

Subject: [OM] Re: Hiking kit.
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:49:57 -0700
Hi,

I recently returned from my first backpacking experience in the North
Cascades, and although it was abbreviated by what turned out to be a
rather fortunate combination of a way-too-difficult trail and illness, I
did get some pictures and learned quite a bit.

I took the following:
OM-2n
21/3.5
55/1.2
70-210/4.5-5.6 (Zuiko)

The 21 got by far the most use.  I really like this lens!  I used the 55
for a few evening/dusk shots in camp, and used the 70-210 not at all,
although we never made it to the high country where I was hoping to use
it.

One thing I discovered: it's quite difficult to take pictures when your
camera is stowed in your pack :)  Also, the photographic opportunites I
encountered along the trail, were very short lived, and usually would
have been best with a small telephoto, like when the black bear sauntered
by about 20-30 yards away :)

Anyway, I'd recommend taking the body of your choice, plus the 24 and
100/2.8.  If you want to take the 50/1.4, then you can take that as well.

The 100/2.8 is next on my to-obtain list, and the next time I go hiking,
I'll carry the camera with that lens around my neck, and probably leave
the 70-210 at home.

I used K64 handheld, and didn't have a problem with slow shutter speeds.

Mark Marr-Lyon.