[OM] OM-1 for sale in Indonesia

Subject: [OM] OM-1 for sale in Indonesia
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 21:16:41 -0700 (PDT)
Friends,

Although I made a wisecrack a few days ago, about being able to find
gems such as Olympus M1 cameras in camera exchange shops in Jakarta, I
hadn't, at that time, ever visited such places here. I have now located
one used camera store, which may be the only one in Indonesia for all I
know, a small shop with a storage area in back. Their stock is almost
exclusively N*k*n. They had Olympus Mju P&S cameras in stock but the
only other Oly model was an OM-1 (chrome) with a 50/1.8 lens. It was
the first time I'd ever seen one; perhaps I've led a sheltered life!

Anyway, I examined the OM-1 and discovered that it had no battery,
there appeared to be faint mould spots on the shutter curtain and the
surface of the viewfinder lens was badly abraded. Apart from that, it
was clean and seemed to be in good condition. The sales clerk tried to
tell me it was just fog on the viewfinder lens but it looked to me as
though someone had attacked it with a piece of emery cloth. It was
rough to the touch - why would anyone do such a thing?

I didn't discuss the price because the clerk would then think I was
serious about buying it and it would be difficult to extricate myself
from thew bargaining that would follow. However, I doubt he's got much
chance of selling it, the OM-1 being a manual camera and OMs in general
being virtually unknown here. So, I could probably get a good price if
I wanted to buy it. I'm wondering whether it's worth it, though? I
would probably hardly ever use it, since I already have both a 2N and a
2S. I might not be able to get a battery for it here, too. But the main
thing putting me off is the state of that viewfinder lens. I'd welcome
opinions from the List - can it be replaced easily?

Regards,

Ray