Re: [OM] Re: HiFi (was: something else?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: HiFi (was: something else?)
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:02:07 +0000
>IMO high price cable is just a joke, does your speaker has capacitor
>and coil built inside for frequency separation? Are the coil inside
>all made of silver or also separated multi-core wires that match with
>the "standard" of your cable?

To some people, this is very serious business. Sure, there is lots of hype,
but some of those cables are extremely exotic. Some have things like water
filled cores (special water of course!), exotic metals and insulators, and
very strange winding patterns, all hand made of course......

>The quality of sound is somewhat much more subjective than picture
>quality, if you like the taste even the tube amp with poorer
>specification will make you feel better than Power MOS-FET driven amp
>with better specification. Okay, I am a long time out of the Hi-Fi or
>(Mid-Fi) market, since I found the most important factor is to get a
>good listening environment, here in Hong Kong is almost impossible if
>you don't own a fortune.

I think it's because our culture is more attuned to the emotion in sound (eg,
music) than in pictures. It also may be easier to fool the ear than the eye.

Maybe it's because we can hear better than we can see??? Ever notice the
number of people that wear eyeglasses? Or that the number has increased over
the last, what, 50 years?? But, the number of people wearing hear aids is
catching up, thanks to loud popular music.....

BTW, vacuum tubes are more linear than transistors, and circuits using them
can be as good technically as solid state, except for noise. Solid state is
an order of magnitude more convienent, both from the design standpoint and
that of the end user. I used to design vacuum tube hifi for fun, and I had a
couple of articles published in Glass Audio several years ago.

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright