Re: [OM] Re: HiFi

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: HiFi
From: "Simon Evans" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:05:25 GMT
Yes, I know it's OT, but a thought on hifi, which can be applied to photographic pursuits too.

Logic goes that a hifi component is only better than another if the listener can *hear* the difference. This should be the definitive test for any tester or purchaser. If you can't hear it then it's not worth paying for, whatever the advert or sales person says.

Now, while that's all well, it's not necessarily all there is to the equation. Why? You are sitting in the hifi shop listening room and can hear the difference when you switch from one unit to another. Great. When you get home to your 'old' system, you convince yourself you are missing the performance provided by that component.

However, if you carry on listening with your old system, and instead of listening to the hifi you put on a nice record/CD/tape (yes, I know, an old cassette tape!) and actually listen to the performers, you *may* realise that the new component isn't really necessary.

Bear with me. You see, the upgrade you sought may not be absolutely critical to musical enjoyment. I have considered upgrading components of my audio setup, but decided that, as I get enough enjoyment from my already fine equipment, my money is better spent on CDs.

The same goes for photography. Acquiring gear is fine, and enjoyable and sometimes necessary. But sometimes the draw of it can divert us from the real goal: making photographs. I'm guilty of spending too much time thinking of new gear when I'd be better off researching photo opportunities, people and locations. If a piece of hardware helps us take better photos it is surely worthwhile. If the photos are not significantly better afterwards then one has to ask if it is worth it.

So those of you with half-decent hifi: stop worrying. When it breaks or degrades to the point of being less than enjoyable, get it fixed. In the meantime put on some music and sit back, relishing the experience provided by what you have.

Just a thought...

Simon E.