[OM] Night Photography

Subject: [OM] Night Photography
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:50:32 -0600
Well, here I sit with another of my infrequent bouts of insomnia.  (Sigh!)
Was thinking about some of the shots I've taken lately (my version of
counting sheep?), and decided to ask for some hints on taking night
photos.

First, here's a page that shows a couple of shots taken in Banff National
Park during my recent one-week vacation:

http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill/mypictures/nitephoto.html

As you'll notice, both of my shots came out rather "brownish" which, by
the way, is kinda neat in itself.  However, I really *was* trying to get a
more "real" rendition of the scene.  The third photo on the page, Moon
Over Pigeon Lake #2 by Larrie Thomson, *really* blows me away and I'd
*love* to get results like that.  (Hope Larrie doesn't mind me using him
as an example of *great* night photo work!)

Any hints, fellow Zuikohobbiests???

Thanks!  Back to counting lenses, filters, and film cannisters in an
attempt to get some sleep....

Chris