Re: [OM] RE: Newbie OM-4 Question / The Digest

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Newbie OM-4 Question / The Digest
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 12:41:40 +0000
At 16:12 8/20/00 , Warren Kato wrote:
>>  2.  Is the battery drain problem on the OM-4 a significant problem?
>It seems from various reports that the problem varies in intensity, to
>locking up the camera to draining a battery in days, weeks or months.

Not all OM-4's are "battery eaters," only a few.  A *normal* OM-4 does
inherently consume them faster than an OM-2[n,S/sp].  I get about six to
nine months with mine, and this seems about average using "357" silver
oxide watch cells.  (Alkalines should not be used in any OM body.)  If you
use the self-timer or viewfinder illuminator frequently, or leave the
"beeping" feature on, you will get less mileage.  I keep the "beeper"
turned off.

One thing I have encountered with the OM-4 that can be improperly blamed on
"battery-eating" circuitry is the viewfinder illumination button on the
right side of the penta-prism.  You have watch how you put the body in a
camera bag so that this button does not get depressed during storage (been
there, done that).  The lamp inside the prism *will* eat batteries very
quickly if something is keeping it depressed.

-- John