Re: [OM] Shiping costs ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shiping costs ?
From: Jim Sharp <jsharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:13:37 -0500
i did a couple of eBay sales out of country and this is what little I
learned...

I sent a 2 lb ( I think... maybe 3 lb ) box to Germany recently and it
cost $15.57 air postage, and $2.50 to insure for $100. The sender can
call USPS at
800-222-1811 and get the exact cost if they know the weight and value.

Keep in mind, he'll have to fill out a customs form at the post office
counter and it asks for a "declared value" and a description of the
item. If he marks it for the true value, you my get hit with a German
customs fee. It seems entering "electronic parts" or some such
nondescript label gets less attention than "camera" or "nuclear warhead"
for example. On something that small $$, he could maybe mark it "no
value" and avoid the whole issue. YMMV Germany is easy to ship to
though. I sold a $54 item to a guy in Brazil - They hit him with $35
import duty... :-(

I can't answer the the exchange question other than to say that if you
use BillPoint or BidPay you'll at least know the charges up front.

--
Jim