Re: [OM] Back in the groove...ish

Subject: Re: [OM] Back in the groove...ish
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:55:00 EDT
In a message dated 8/14/00 2:02:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< I wonder if the gypsies in Paris are as bad as heard that they are several
 years ago? They had an apparent speciality in tourists.

Only time I had to ward off the boogeyman was in Rome and again once in
Naples..men on mopeds would zoom by and grab my OM-1 by the strap off my
shoulder (thank God it wasn't around my neck..but it taught me to PUT it
around my neck!) I hear it's still a problem with shoulder pocketbooks...
I'll be only in Germany this trip and have never had a problem there (yet??)
This also happened in Tokyo but they grabbed my pocketbook and almost
beheaded me as they spun off....I'm beginning to think of straps as a true
liability.

I would have loved to have met the group on the 9th but I'll be in Frankfurt
on Sept 2-3 and again on the 15-16th, but by that middle weekend I'll be down
in Munich....can anyone "in the know" give me an estimate of how many hours
away from the Belgium meeting site Munich would be by car?? A friend just
wrote me that petrol is now approx. $4.25 a gallon now...yikes! He must have
thought we were crazy when he was here in May..at a cocktail reception I held
when he arrived everyone was griping vehemently over having to pay $1.30 a
gallon here...

i am feeling an amazing amount of guilt over not taking one of the
OM's...maybe it's because I purchased the OM1 and OM2 there in the 70's and I
feel they should have a return engagement??  I still wince with pain at the
thought of all the miles I carried the large OM bag stuffed to the
gills...young and dumb, yada, yada. I wouldn't take that much this time, but
just may opt to take the OM2 w/35-70..it was always my favorite for
travelling. Dunno why a point-and-shoot seems like such sacrilege.

Susan Steele
Amherst, VA USA
"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"." (Dave Barry)