Re: [OM] FAQ Additions

Subject: Re: [OM] FAQ Additions
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:57:51 -0500
Shoot, I'll weigh in too.

I agree with Dirk's directions for the most part, and he's even a little
high on some of the prices, if you're really, really patient with ebay
opportunities.  His approach focused on primes, I'll take a mixed prime/zoom
approach.  My challenge (and everyone else's too) is we don't know what you
like to shoot.  Sports is different from landscapes is different from
flowers is different from.....  So, these are general purpose answers.

You made a great start with the OM-4 and 50/1.4  Fast glass, great body.
Very versatile.

Now, let's wrap it with lenses.

First, you need a little bit of wide and a little bit of telephoto.  My
first two lenses would be a 24/2.8 and the 75-150/4 zoom.  I like the 24
better than the 28, just a little wide, just a little more useful.

24/2.8 = $150, 75-150=$100 - so, you're out $250 so far.

No it gets tougher, and very much depends on what you like to shoot.  My
range.  Smaller and less powerful than the T32, it's a nice pocket fit.
Useful to always have with you.

We're up to $300.

After that, all bets are off.  If I was only going to buy one more lens, it
would very much depend on what I was doing.  I do a lot of different things:

For Sports:

65-200/4 - $250
Winder 2 - $75-95

For Macro photography

50/3.5 ($125) or 90/2 ($550-600).  The 90/2 is simply amazing, but the 50 is
a better value

For Portraits

100/2 ($500) or 100/2.8 ($125-150)  - the /2 is a great lens, but expensive,
big and heavy.  The 100/2.8 is a nice compromise. Small, light, affordable.

That's my starting point.  I agree with an earlier suggestion that the more
ideas you share of what you want to do, the more we can help.  I'm a small
is better fan, so I tend to go with smaller, slower lenses, before the
faster ones, just to save weight.  Well, except when I own them all.

If you haven't discover Hans' amazing site about OM, you have to check it
out:

http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif.htm

Have fun!

Tom