Re: [OM] Hoya lens? and other grumblings...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hoya lens? and other grumblings...
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 01:27:29 GMT
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 19:37:29 +1000

Lex, your response is an ad hominem attack on me:

That many of us believe we are as talented as some well-known photographers
- - but nobody's heard of us.

The fact is that we can safely potshot from our anonymous foxholes at those
who have taken the risk of making themselves accessible targets by putting
their work before the public where it succeeds or fails on its merits, or
lack thereof.

Frank, no such thing was intended.

I believe I'm a rather talented photographer and writer, but have as yet done nothing significant to promote my own work, apart from photojournalism done years ago. So my own remarks apply to myself as well.

How good or bad a photographer I might be is beside the point. I'm
not asking anyone to accept my unsupported opinion of filters based
on my reputation - in fact, I haven't even expressed an opinion on
filters here. You, OTOH, are suggesting that Hick's reputation
is such that we should all accept what he says. Then his reputation
becomes a valid subject for discussion, together with any links he
might have with publications that get advertising revenue from filter
manufacturers. BTW, you call him "Roger". Do you know him, and do
you by chance write for magazines?

I know Roger only through online correspondence over the past couple of years, and through having read his writings over the past several years. He seems to prefer "Roger" to "Mr. Hicks."

Nope, I don't currently write for any magazine or newspaper. I have no pecuniary interest involving Roger or any medium he writes for.

I do, for the most part, share a philosophy of photography with Roger and many others. In summary it is that for most 35mm photography ultimate resolution is irrelevant. It amounts to counting angels on the head of a pin. Especially when photographs are seldom enlarged or projected more than 8x, and when viewer-subject distance is an important factor.

I happen to think it's easier to finesse the whole question by replacing celebrity endorsement with objective tests and the scientific method.

What matters most to me is the intrinsic value of the image, an admittedly nebulous thing that defies measurement. If I'm guilty of finessing the question it is in this regard, and not by substituting celebrity endorsement for quantitative analysis. Otherwise I could quote Andre Agassi or Mario Andretti (whose groundbreaking 1979 Formula 1 car is now emblazened with the Olympus logo for vintage class racing).

I can imagine that someone whose income was gained from the existing system might not like the idea of individuals publishing such tests in an uncontrollable medium like a mailing list or newsgroup, and might want to hamper that by bombarding the list over a period of weeks with megabytes of off-topic ramblings and by rubbishing the testers. Surely this isn't you, but it would be wise not to get mistaken for such a person... they do exist on the net.

Well finessed sideswipe noted.

Since the web opened its doors to the public that assertion has often been tossed around - that more traditional or conventional media feel threatened somehow by the fast spreading, freely accessible nature of 'net news. In reality the 'net itself is a frequent source of rubbish disguised as news and requires readers and consumers to discipline themselves to determine what is true, relevant and significant.

For the record I value Gary's tests above any others I've seen on the web, including those with a larger sample group. While his tests could be dismissed because the sample groups are too small to be statistically significant, I believe it's fair to factor in a manufacturer's overall reliability and reputation for quality and consistency, which minimizes the need for a larger sample group. If we were testing Texas yellow pine, Mexican strawberries (both of which are often excellent but subject to whims of weather) or lenses made between 1890-1920, it would be another matter.

Other website tests have larger sample groups but rely on reader input which automatically interjects error, as readers may not actually test their lenses but instead submit opinion disguised as data, or may misunderstand how a particular test is conducted or how to spot a particular flaw. Therefore I consider these tests less reliable.

Whether I'm guilty of trashing a person may be beyond my control, as this sort of thing is open to interpretation. The reason I say "may be" is because I'm quite capable of making myself understood, unmistakably and irrefutably. I'll openly express my thoughts, opinions, feelings or beliefs about anyone, and all too frequently do so.

And whether this thread has led to an excessive discussion of anything, on- or off-topic, I'm not qualified to say. It's been both interesting and relevant to me as a valid element of photography, if not pertinent to Olympus specifically. The feedback has demonstrated "diversity in unity", the Holy Grail among the politically correct, which should be something of a tribute to list members.

Lex
===