Re: [OM] Hoya lens? and other grumblings...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hoya lens? and other grumblings...
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:54:37 GMT
No argument there, Ray. For one thing few if any filters I've seen can match the multicoating of lenses.

Another, probably more significant factor, I believe - altho' I can't prove it or explain why - the flat surface of a filter renders it more susceptible to veiling flare than the curved surfaces typical of the front elements on most lenses.

While both types of surfaces are vulnerable to flare, a curved surface tends to focus or concentrate flare on a specific point, while flare spreads itself across the flat surface of a filter. In both cases use of an appropriate lens hood can help minimize flare, but it's probably more difficult to do so with filters.

So when I'm concerned about a light source affecting the photo I do remove protective filters. Unless I actually *want* flare in the image. There are times when I like a certain amount of veiling flare - that even, brushlike stoke of glare that closely resembles the effect of light on the human eye - and if a coated lens seems to "overcorrect" for flare, I may use a filter to recapture it.

I have an old Can-not-an-OM 35/3.5 S.C. lens that, while resistant to most flare, produces a wonderful "romantic" sort of effect when the low rising or setting sun is deliberately kept in or just out of the frame. I have some really nice shots of a marina in the evening with a nice, subtle brush of veiling flare with none of the familiar, specifically identifiable circular or iris shaped flare artifacts.

Lex
===