Re: [OM] Hoya lens? and other grumblings...

Subject: Re: [OM] Hoya lens? and other grumblings...
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:39:05 GMT
I hope this topic doesn't descend into a flame war. Lex wrote:

Roger has forgotten more about photography than I'll ever know.

That may be true, and I'm not suggesting that Roger Hicks knows nothing. What I am saying (and I think Frank is too) is that you shouldn't assume his enthusiastic writing is necessarily backed up by objective test results. I like reading his articles, but that doesn't mean he is the most rigorous tester of photographic equipment and materials. Therefore, his conclusions are his own, and are no more valid than yours or mine.

I happen to think it's easier to finesse the whole question by >replacing celebrity endorsement with objective tests and the >scientific method.

Frank has a point here. I would trust Gary Reese's tests first, because he exposes his methods, and thereby admits any limitations. While photography as practice is a mix of art and science, if you are devoting yourself to scientific endeavour (e.g. lens tests) then scientific means are what one should use.

Far too many journalists make a living from filling pages with advertiser-friendly copy - I see it in the photographic, motorcycling and outdoor magazines I read. If these publications are prepared to mollify their advertisers this way they are not independent and are only a mouthpiece for manufacturers. While I don't always trust what I read on the internet (especially in newsgroups), there is plenty of good material in between the junk. If you look long and hard you'll eventually work out whose claims have substance and whose are all puff.

Simon E.