Re: [OM] Why all the shift lenses for sale?

Subject: Re: [OM] Why all the shift lenses for sale?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 00:00:37 +0000
At 03:15 8/9/00 , Lex wrote:
>My guess is that a lot of folks buy the Zuiko 35/2.8 shift because it's the
>most affordable shift lens available for 35mm cameras, and the lens seems to
>hold its market value pretty well.  After experimenting with it for a while
>most folks discover it's not a convenient substitute for a regular wide
>angle lens and realize they have relatively little use for a shift lens.  So
>off to market they go.

[snip]

>So once I've got a shift lens I doubt I'll be parting with it.

My guess too, and it is one of the most affordable.  The 24/3.5 is another
story!  I've got one, use it heavily for architectural and other structures
which is still occasional, but would not part with it.  It is a salvation
for getting interesting perspectives of urban structures that cannot be had
any other way without a bellows and adjustments (i.e. LF stuff).

As with Gary Edwards, I am mystified why someone would do aerial work with
a manual stop-down shift lens.  If anyone can shed some light on that it
would be welcome!

-- John